Correct as of 11.01.2021 at 17:00 AEST

Local support information for current students

Question Answer
Is the College open? The Taylors College Sydney (Waterloo) campus is currently closed to students. As of Monday 30 March there will be no students on campus. Classes will be delivered as virtual lessons. All students will operate to their normal timetable logging into their classes.

Given the rapidly changing situation, we are working on the best options for students to continue their studies and have the best experience possible.

All students have been contacted by their teachers and will be in virtual classrooms from Monday 30 March for two weeks. Any arrangements for the assessments set down for the week of Monday 6 April will be confirmed.
What campus facilities are currently available? Although there are currently no classes on campus, the campus will remain open to staff. If the campus closes, classes will continue online.
Can I stay in my accommodation? Taylors College has no campus accommodation. If you have a concern regarding your homestay accommodation, please contact the College.
What is the current health advice in Australia? The official updates from the Australian government provide the latest health advice and information on how to help prevent the spread of infection in Australia.

View the Australian government’s information for the public on the coronavirus.
What should I do if I am in Australia and I feel unwell? If you show the symptoms of COVID-19 then you should follow official Australian medical advice which is found below, along with details about how to self-isolate. You should also contact your Study Centre for further information.

People with coronavirus may experience:
  • fever
  • flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat and fatigue
  • shortness of breath
If you develop symptoms within 14 days of last contact with a confirmed case or of returning to Australia, you should seek medical attention. Your doctor will tell you if you need to get tested.

If you want to talk to someone about your symptoms first, call the National Coronavirus Helpline for advice.

Call this line if you are seeking information on coronavirus (COVID-19). The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week - 1800 020 080.
Can I travel home? We are advising all current students not to travel at this time if possible.

All our staff and students have been instructed on what to do if they feel unwell, and our welfare teams are trained to support students who have health concerns.

Our College staff are in regular contact with students to provide more specific advice based on their individual circumstances and ensure that they have all the support they need.

All of our actions are guided by medical advice from the government and public health authorities.
Will I be able to extend my visa if I cannot complete my program before my visa expires due to COVID-19?

If you held a student visa on or after 1 February 2020, and need to lodge a new visa application for an extension to complete your program due to COVID-19, the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) may waive your Student Visa (subclass 500) application fee.

Please visit for more information.

Can I apply?

You are eligible to apply If you meet the following 5-point check:


You had a student visa on or after 1 February



You were expected to complete your program by your original visa end date



You deferred your studies due to COVID-19



You were unable to enter Australia due to travel restrictions



Your CoE end date is within 3 months of your current visa expiry date, and your approved deferral was due to the impacts of COVID-19.



Please note:

You are not eligible for Form 1545, (even if you deferred due to COVID-19), if you needed a new visa for ordinary reason before 2020, such as:

  • You failed a course
  • You chose to repeat part of your program
  • You deferred for personal reasons
  • You were suspended
  • You transferred from one program to another which increased the total study duration (i.e., Foundation Standard to Foundation Extended)

How do I get Form 1545 from SGA?

Please send an email to with your full name and student ID number. SGA will process your CoE extension and Form 1545 (if you are eligible) at the same time.

Requests with a visa expiry date of more than 3 months will be rejected. DHA will only process visas within 3 months of the expiry date.

For more information, please visit


Study information

Question Answer
Is my course available online? Given the rapidly changing situation, we are working on the best options for students. Your normal timetable should operate as ‘virtual classroom’ setup. This mean you need to log on every time you have a lesson. Your attendance will be recorded.

Students will be able to join classes via a PC, laptop or smart device connected to the internet in Australia. Students are advised to please not come to campus during this time.

Some students will still be required to undertake assessments on campus. This may change and any updates will be sent to students. This means you should not travel home internationally to continue your studies.

We are asking all students to continue to monitor their emails on a regular basis.
How will you monitor my attendance? As teaching is moving to virtual classrooms, attendance will be monitored through engagement with virtual classrooms.
How can I complete my exams? Some students will be required to attend the campus for face-to-face assessments.

We will provide more guidance on assessments and exams relating to specific programs of study in due course.

Additional Information

Where should I go if I have further questions?

For enquiries related to students who are already at the College, please contact the College. Please send all other enquiries to

We are open for your studies – Read our latest guidance for current students or find out more about starting your course.