University of Sydney accommodation

Student Accommodation

Student accommodation in Sydney

Experience real ‘Aussie’ (Australian) culture living with a family in homestay, or share with friends in a rental house or apartment. Whether you live with a Homestay family or house share with peers, you can spend your free time at Bondi beach, Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Enjoy city life in a safe and central student-friendly residence.

How to book your student accommodation?

If you're coming to study with us in Sydney, you will need to book your accommodation yourself. There are a variety of ways to find your new home and make a booking online - we would recommend using one of the many useful websites listed below.

Please note: all students under the age of 18 MUST live in approved accommodation and book an approved airport transfer service. All homestay providers are approved to provide airport transfer services. Students who require airport transfer services must book directly with the provider.

Scape has an airport transfer service available for their students to book. Students are advised to arrange this service directly with Scape. Iglu Redfern and Unilodge do not arrange airport transfers for students. Students are encouraged to book airport transfers with any of the homestay providers as they offer these services.

International student accommodation options in Sydney

1. Homestay

Becoming part of a real Australian home is a great way to get to know the culture and practise your English. It gives you a safe and supportive place to live. All approved hosts are security checked and their homes are inspected before we place any students with them.

For further information on our approved homestay providers, please visit:

2. Student residences*

You can also find a range of student residences to choose from in Sydney. These fully furnished apartments let you enjoy independent living. Shared communal areas and cooking facilities provide great opportunities to make new friends. Most residences have 24-hour security. Please refer to the following websites:

Iglu Redfern (students under 18 years of age please apply here)

* Approved for students under the age of 18

3. Rental houses or apartments

You might prefer to live in a house or apartment. We can offer advice on options close to our campus.

For information about current rental properties, visit:

Approved Caregivers in New South Wales Student welfare will always be our highest priority. Taylors College has made arrangements with the following organisations to provide caregiver services. Caregivers liaise with the school and parents, and report on academic progress or any concerns regarding health and after hour activities. There is also a 24 hour telephone service in case of an emergency. If you wish to take advantage of this service please contact one of these organisations directly. A Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) form will be issued when we receive notification from the nominated caregivers and we are satisfied with the accommodation and welfare arrangements:

Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW)

A CAAW will be issued when we receive notification from the nominated caregivers and we are satisfied with the accommodation and welfare arrangements. The caregiver contract must include the welfare start and end dates, name and contact information of the Caregiver signed by the parent/legal guardian, the student, and a provider representative. The Caregiver company will begin their welfare arrangements 14 days prior to course commencement.

The accommodation contract must include the welfare start and end dates, name, address, and contact information of the provider signed by the parent/legal guardian, the student, and a provider representative. The student’s accommodation must commence on the same day as the Caregiver contract.

Welfare arrangements must remain in place until the student either turns 18, departs Australia, alternative welfare arrangements are approved, until the University partner assumes welfare responsibilities or for a maximum of 7 days after the eCoE finishes.

Living costs


Prices per person:

  1. Homestay: $385 per week
  2. Rental: $465-752 per week

Other living costs

  • Cappuccino $4.47
  • Bottle of water $2.97
  • Fast food combo meal $13.30
  • Meal in an inexpensive restaurant $20.00
  • Cinema ticket $22.00
  • Fitness club $83.46 per month
  • Monthly Opal card (smartcard travel ticket) for buses, trains, light rail and ferries – limits fares to $217.39 a month or less
  • Basic utilities for an apartment (electricity, heating, water, etc.) $174.28 per month
  • Internet $73.21 per month

Note: All costs are sourced from and are estimates only. They are subject to change without notice. All costs are in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit

For more information on living costs in Australia and the minimum financial requirements to receive a student visa, visit

For more information on Opal cards, visit

The living costs for a single person in Australia are $26,741 per year according to Any school-aged dependents accompanying overseas students to Australia will be required to pay full fees if they are enrolled in either a government or non-government school.

University of Sydney student reading a book in library


Our programs give you the right preparation to succeed at one of Australia’s most respected universities.

Close up of student writing on paper

How to apply

Find out more about entry requirements and how to apply to study at Taylors College Sydney.

Ran Yang from China

“My favourite things about the house are my room and my bathroom, and I love Natasha making dinner. It’s very good in homestay so don’t be nervous.”

Ran Yang, from China
USFP Homestay student

Join us today

Our student enrolment advisors are available to answer your questions and help you with your application. We can’t wait to meet you.